Does Age Impact Your Driving?
You always hear people say they think teens and young adults are bad drivers because they are inexperienced and distracted. On the other hand you also hear people say that the elderly are bad drivers, but is this really the case? Are better drivers made up of the middle aged generation? In today’s society there are so many readily available distractions, no matter what your age. Whether you’re talking on the phone while driving, texting while driving, eating while driving, drinking and driving; all of these distractions can be both performed and avoided at any age.
It is not fair to assume that because you are a certain age that you are a worse driver than someone of a different age. Let’s take a look at the facts:
- Drivers 75 years and older make up for 3.3% of car accidents.
- Drivers 16 years old make up for 1.8% of accidents, drivers 17 years old 2.5%, drivers 18 years old 3.2%, drivers 19 years old 3.1% .
- Drivers 20- 24 years old make up for 15% of accidents.
- Drivers 25-34 years old make up for 19.8% of accidents.
- Drivers 35-44 years old make up for 17.6% of accidents.
- Drivers 45-54 years old make up for 16.7% of accidents.
- Drivers 55-64 years old make up for 10.4% of accidents.
- Drivers 65-74 years old make up for 5% of accidents.
I bet you didn’t think that the “worst drivers” would be the middle aged drivers, did you? The drivers that make up for the most accidents are between the ages of 25-54 years old.
Car accidents are serious no matter what age you are. It is important to put away the cell phones, obey the speed limits, wear your seat belt and pay attention to the drivers around you when driving. The lawyers are Marcari, Russotto, Spencer and Balaban have seen firsthand the devastation that can be caused by an auto accident in Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina. The firm has handled thousands of auto accidents in these areas and has the knowledge and experience to get those injured in a car accident in Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina the justice and money they deserve. If you or a loved one have been injured in an accident in Virginia, North Carolina or South Carolina Marcari, Russotto, Spencer and Balaban is here to help, call today for a free evaluation 855-435-7247 (HELP 247), submit an online form or chat with our live Intake Specialist 24 hours a day 7 days a week.