What Causes Fatal Car Crashes in the States We Serve?
A recent study by the Auto Insurance Center reported in Businessinsider.com examined data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to determine the leading causes of fatal accidents in every state. The website for vehicle insurance news and information examined statistics on driver, passenger and pedestrian deaths for the years 2009 to 2013 and constructed a map illustrating the number-one cause per state by assigning a color code. The leading causes, ranked by the number of states in which the cause dominated, were:
- Failure to keep in a proper lane — 29 states
- Failure to yield right of way — Seven states
- Reckless or careless driving — Six states
- Overcorrecting — Three states
- Not adjusting to road surface — Alaska only
- Improper turn — California only
- Not adjusting to road obstruction — Delaware only
- Operating without required equipment — Louisiana only
- Driving on the wrong side of the road — Pennsylvania only
Some interesting facts were revealed about the three states we serve:
- Virginia and South Carolina were among the many states where failure to maintain the lane was the leading cause of accidents. This may indicate high levels of distracted driving, drowsy driving, and driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs, all of which can cause a vehicle to veer out of a lane.
- In North Carolina, the leading cause was reckless or careless driving. This would tend to indicate that speed, as well as alcohol use, are factors as well.
- There was also a graphic illustration of why South Carolina is among the most dangerous states for driving, as the state placed in the top five among the states for four different causes of accidents: road rage (second only to Indiana), improper or erratic lane changing (trailing Delaware and New Mexico), failure to yield the right of way (second to Mississippi), and driving on the wrong side (behind West Virginia and Pennsylvania).
We hope this information serves as a warning to motorists of the problems with their own driving and of the drivers they share the road with. We’d like to see everyone stay safe. But if you are injured in a motor vehicle accident caused by a negligent driver in Virginia, North Carolina or South Carolina, Marcari, Russotto, Spencer & Balaban P.C. is ready to help, with more than 175 years of combined legal experience. Call us at (888) 351-1038 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.