Why You Need a Professional Investigator on Your Legal Team
If you’ve been injured in a vehicle accident, you may already be disappointed by the limited scope of the police investigation. When a police report fails to support your version of the facts — or worse, contradicts it — you need a professional private investigator on your legal team.
At Marcari, Russotto, Spencer & Balaban P.C., we use private investigators for a number of tasks, including:
- Locating and interviewing witnesses
- Taking photographs and measurements of accident scenes
- Assessing the driving conditions at the scene
- Checking the timing of traffic lights
- Inspecting the vehicles for defects
- Reconstructing crash events as precisely as possible
Imagine two vehicles colliding on a highway. Car A makes a left turn as the green arrow is lit, but Car B doesn’t stop and plows directly into Car A. Both drivers are injured. The driver of Car A immediately calls 911 and an injury attorney, who dispatches an investigator to the accident scene. Driver B calls 911 and waits for the police and the ambulance to arrive.
The police cite the driver of Car A for an illegal left turn and, in the official report, assign fault to Driver A. However, the private investigator arrives in a timely manner and records these facts:
- When the green turn arrow is on, the light is red to oncoming traffic.
- At the time of the accident, the sun, which was setting, was directly above the red traffic signal, very possibly making it difficult to see due to the glare.
- The windshield visor in Car B was not turned down.
- Car B’s windshield was not tinted to fight glare.
- Driver B was not wearing sunglasses at the time of the crash.
The investigator has assembled evidence that strongly suggests Driver B did not see the traffic signal and so ran the red light. Without this evidence, a court would very likely hold Driver A liable for the crash. Instead, Driver A may have enough evidence to prove Driver B is liable.
Marcari, Russotto, Spencer & Balaban P.C. has access to private investigators who can respond quickly to the scene of an accident. If you’re hurt, call (888) 351-1038 or contact us online to put our resources to work for you.