Charlotte Attorneys Litigate I-85 Accidents
15801 Brixham Hill Ave.
Charlotte, NC 28277
Tel: (704) 927-4999
Fax: (704) 927-4988
Determined personal injury lawyers fight for injured drivers and passengers
If you’ve traveled Interstate 85 in and around Charlotte and throughout Mecklenburg County, you’ve no doubt experienced traffic snarls due to vehicle accidents and may even have seen the twisted wreckage of a serious crash. Sadly, such crashes can sometimes be preventable and are often caused by proven unsafe practices, such as drunk driving, speeding or distracted driving. Given that most of I-85 within Mecklenburg County actually lies within the city limits of Charlotte, our attorneys at Marcari, Russotto, Spencer & Balaban P.C. handle a great number of these accident claims. If you’ve been injured in an I-85 accident, you can rely on our determined legal team to aggressively pursue the compensation you deserve.
Most common causes of I-85 accidents
Traffic on Interstate 85 suffers from the same problems as major routes throughout the country. Vehicle crashes frequently occur due to:
- Distracted drivers — Nationally, in 2014, 3,179 people were killed and 431,000 were injured in vehicle crashes involving distracted drivers.
- Alcohol — In Charlotte, alcohol was a factor in 2,851 vehicle crashes in the years 2012 to 2014, leading to 80 deaths.
- Fatigue — Studies have shown that fatigued driving can be just as dangerous as driving under the influence of alcohol. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that at least 100,000 crashes annually are the direct result of driver fatigue. This results in about 1,550 deaths, 71,000 injuries, and $12.5 billion in monetary losses. How much sleep loss does it take to make driving risky? According to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, people who sleep six to seven hours a night are twice as likely to be involved in a crash as those who sleep eight hours or more.
- Speeding — In Charlotte, speed was a factor in 3,246 vehicle crashes in the years 2012 to 2014.
- Road conditions — Drivers often fail to adjust to changes in weather or visibility. Poor maintenance of roads can create hazards that cause preventable accidents.
Adults between 18 and 29 years of age are more likely to be drowsy drivers and to use cellphones while driving, which certainly contribute to increased rates of accidents for that age group.
Experience managing common types of Interstate 85 vehicle accident cases
Interstate 85 through Mecklenburg County traverses a varied landscape of rural, suburban and urban areas. Truck terminals, warehouses, small factories, and office parks line the highway in commercial zones. Traffic is also varied, leading to assorted:
- Car crashes & wrecks — Passenger cars are badly damaged in high-speed collisions.
- Motorcycle accidents— Bike accidents at highway speeds generally result in catastrophic injuries or fatalities.
- Truck accidents — Jackknifed tractor-trailers can cause destruction across multiple lanes of traffic.
Our convenient Charlotte location enables us to respond quickly to your call for legal assistance.
Contact a Charlotte accident lawyer for I-85 crash cases
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in an accident on I-85, you can rely on Marcari, Russotto, Spencer & Balaban P.C. We’re determined to build a compelling case and fight for the maximum possible recovery. To schedule a free consultation, call (888) 351-1038 or contact us online today.