Hampton Accident Procedures
When a serious injury strikes, call a Hampton car accident lawyer
Many highways in Hampton Roads, including I-64, 264, and 664, can be dangerous for commuters. In addition to sustaining physical injury, an auto, truck or motorcycle accident can cause you and your loved ones emotional trauma as well. An auto accident can cause pain and disruption to your life that can last months, years, or the rest of your life.
As a result, it is of the utmost importance that you retain an experienced Hampton Roads car accident attorney as soon as possible. Marcari, Russotto, Spencer & Balaban P.C. can review your case during your free initial consultation and help you obtain compensation. Following the steps below can often help your case, especially if you are injured due to the negligence or recklessness of another.
What you do immediately following an accident can help your case
- Seek medical attention. Car accidents can be extremely traumatic and often numbing. However, even if you believe you are unharmed, you should still seek medical attention at the scene and at the emergency room immediately after. Some of the most serious injuries do not show symptoms right away, but a physician can discover them. Seeking medical attention is beneficial to your health and any legal case you plan on pursuing.
- Get contact information from witnesses. It is important for you or someone in your car to write down the names, addresses and phone numbers of anyone in the area who saw what happened.
- Photograph the scene. If you are capable, you should use your cell phone to photograph the scene of the accident. Be sure to take pictures of your car, the other car, and any other contributing factors. If you are not able, ask a passenger to help.
- Contact a lawyer. After seeing a doctor, contact a reputable personal injury lawyer. A knowledgeable Hampton car accident attorney can work hard to help you obtain compensation for pain and suffering, medical costs, and loss of wages. However, you do not have unlimited time to take legal action, so it is imperative that you contact a lawyer as quickly as possible.
- Keep a journal. While you recover, you should keep a journal to document your condition. Write down all your doctor visits, medications and all your treatments. Note any time your injury improves or worsens. Also, note workdays or special events you are unable to attend because of your injury. But . . .
- Beware of social networking. Do not post any details about your Hampton accident, injuries or state of mind on Facebook, Twitter or any other social media website. Also, refrain from posting photos of yourself or your crashed vehicle. It is alarming how easily insurance adjusters and defense attorneys can turn your own comments against you. One innocent remark can ruin your case and lose your compensation.
- Follow the doctor's orders. Lastly, you must follow the orders of your doctor. A failure to heed the advice of your physician can be harmful to your health and your legal case.
You do not have to face the aftermath of an accident alone. An experienced team of lawyers can stand by your side.
Contact us today
If you suffered a serious personal injury in North Carolina, South Carolina or Virginia, don't try to fight for fair compensation on your own. Call toll free at (888) 351-1038 today or contact Marcari, Russotto, Spencer & Balaban P.C. online to schedule a free consultation.