How Much Does a Personal Injury Case Cost in NC?
Experienced trial attorneys finance your lawsuit
Litigation is an expensive process for several reasons, not the least of which is poor cost management from inexperienced attorneys who allow expenses to escalate without regard for the impact on the client’s recovery. At Marcari, Russotto, Spencer & Balaban, we put our clients’ needs first. We know how to assess the reasonable value of a case, and we do what is necessary to obtain a fair settlement in a timely manner. We don’t drag out litigation seeking payouts that never come. We only go to trial when it’s absolutely necessary to do justice for our clients. The fact that we are accomplished trial lawyers helps us negotiate effectively and achieve substantial settlements through negotiation and expense-saving processes like mediation and arbitration. When you retain our local firm, you get personal assistance from a fully-engaged attorney who is dedicated to achieving the best possible outcome.
Understanding the relationship between contingency fees and expenses
Our attorneys accept personal injury and wrongful death cases on a contingency basis. Under some circumstances the firm may even advance your cost. You pay the firm no legal fees until your case settles out of court (with your consent) or a trial ends with a jury award. We refer to the amount of the settlement or award as your recovery. From that we subtract certain litigation expenses, medical bills owed and then we take our agreed-upon percentage. The remainder of the recovery is yours.
Costs of litigation include:
- Filing fees — The court charges filing fees for Complaints, as well as motions as needed throughout the course of the litigation.
- Service and process fees — We use only professional process servers to avoid costly errors.
- Document production — The law requires the answering party to pay for the production of documents to the requesting party. Defense counsel often makes discovery demands to test the resolve of a plaintiff and counsel.
- Expert witness fees — Accident reconstruction experts and medical experts are generally necessary to prove liability.
- Court reporter fees — When we depose a witness prior to trial, a skilled professional creates a transcript for the court. Attorneys for each side split the cost.
- Mediator fees — North Carolina requires that cases go to mediation before they proceed to trial. Parties usually split the cost of the mediation.
How much these costs ultimately affect your case depends on the complexity of the legal and factual issues. But, part of our commitment to maximizing your outcome is to control costs that could diminish your recovery. Certain expenses are unavoidable if we’re serious about collecting the evidence needed to win your case. But our focus never wavers from delivering the best possible results for you.
Let an experienced trial attorney manage your personal injury claim
With personal injury case management, there is no substitute for experience. At Marcari, Russotto, Spencer & Balaban, we have the knowledge and resources necessary to handle your case efficiently. To schedule a free consultation with a dedicated, local attorney, call (888) 351-1038 or contact our office online.