Know What Types of Workers’ Compensation Benefits Are Available
Someone who gets hurt or contracts an illness on the job is eligible for workers’ compensation but many people are not sure exactly what benefits are available. Understanding what losses can be reimbursed will help you make informed decisions about seeking each type of relief that you are entitled to.
With a few exceptions, employers are required to maintain workers’ compensation insurance for their employees providing benefits for:
- Medical bills — Any authorized medical care is paid for through an employer’s workers’ compensation coverage.
- Lost wages — While you are out of work due to a job-related injury or illness, you can recover two-thirds of your weekly wage up to a limit specified by state law. These maximums usually change on an annual basis, so it’s helpful to consult with a knowledgeable attorney.
- Rehabilitation costs — Vocational rehabilitation costs are covered for workers who need that type of therapy to return to work. Other expenses linked to the employment-related injury or condition are reimbursed as well, such as prescription drugs and transportation to medical appointments.
- Permanent disability — Once a victim reaches maximum medical improvement, they are evaluated to determine if a total or partial permanent disability is present. If so, they can continue receiving benefits based on the rating assigned to their condition.
- Death benefits — After a work-related fatality, surviving family members can recover funeral expenses and some may collect death benefits for a set period of time. This can become complicated if multiple dependents exist. An experienced workers’ compensation lawyer can assess what type of payments will be made and how they might be divided.
Even after a few weeks, healthcare costs and lost income can create a severe financial problem for victims of workplace injuries and their families. If there’s a problem obtaining workers’ compensation benefits or a question about what you are owed, it’s best to seek legal help immediately.
Marcari, Russotto, Spencer & Balaban represents victims of job-related injuries and illnesses in workers’ compensation proceedings throughout the Carolinas and Virginia. To schedule a free consultation, please call (888) 351-1038 or contact us online.