Suffolk Bicyclist: Another Statistic?
Early this morning a bicyclist in Suffolk, Virginia, was taken to the hospital with severe injuries. WAVY News reports that a Toyota Corolla hit the bicyclist, Keith Wilson, around 7:00AM this morning on Bridge Road. The actual cause of the accident is still under police investigation.
Unfortunately, accidents involving bicyclist are not uncommon and are extremely dangerous. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), In 2009, there were 630 bicyclist fatalities in the United States, a decline from the 786 fatalities reported fatalities in 2005. In 2009, bicyclist fatalities accounted for 2% of all traffic fatalities (NHTSA, 2011b). In that same year, another 51,000 bicyclists were injured in traffic crashes in the United States.
Precautions should be taken by both drivers and bicyclist to help avoid accidents of this nature.
- Do not wear headphones while riding your bike.
- Keep both hands on the handle bars and both feet on the pedals.
- Wear a brightly colored helmet and retro-reflective material on your clothing.
- Use the correct hand signals.
- Before entering a roadway: Stop and look both ways.
Tips For Drivers:
- Obey traffic laws/signs.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Avoid distracted driving.
If you or someone you love has been injured in an accident we are here to help. Call us for a free consultation at 855-435-7247 or visit our website.