Belviq: What We Know!
Since January, numerous United States federal regulators have been telling the public that there are concerns with prescription weight-loss drug Belviq.
Numerous outlets have reported that Belviq is known to be linked with an increased risk of cancer. The Food and Drug Administration published the initial alert, in a statement they said the drug showed a “possible” increased risk of cancer as a byproduct. Belviq is also commonly known by its generic form, lorcaserin. The FDA went on to say the following:
“The cause of cancer is uncertain, and we cannot conclude that lorcaserin contributes to the cancer risk. However, we wanted to make the public aware of this potential risk. We are continuing to evaluate the clinical trial results and will communicate our final conclusions and recommendations when we have completed our review.”
The alert referenced above was inclusive of both the tablet form and the extended-release version of the pill, known as Belviq XR.
What is Belviq? What Does it Do?
Belviq was first approved by the FDA back in 2012 – almost a decade ago – as a prescription drug to help overweight and obese Americans lose weight. The benefit of the pill is to make the consumer feel full, thus making them desire to eat far less.
Internal Belviq Study by Eisai
One study in particular raised levels of FDA concern and it came directly from the manufacturers, Eisai.
Their internal company study concluded that out of 12,000 participants who took either the actual medication or the placebo, more who took the medicine itself were diagnosed with cancer over a five-year period. Unfortunately, Eisai’s study did not make clear what cancer it was.
The FDA does suggest that patients taking lorcaserin should speak with their primary-care physicians to seek out an alternative medication.
Strong Litigators Help Victims Take on Powerful Defendants!
When the harm from a product or an injury event is widespread, it’s easy to overlook the suffering of each individual victim.
But before you allow yourself to be treated as a statistic, you should seek the counsel of a knowledgeable lawyer who cares about each and every client. At Marcari, Russotto, Spencer & Balaban, our attorneys have more than 200 years of combined legal experience, and we are determined to give each client the personal attention they deserve.
We understand that a mass tort may have affected you in a unique way, so we pursue a resolution that suits your circumstances and needs.
No matter how complex the claim is or how tough the opponent might seem, we are determined to see that you are compensated fully for your personal losses. If you or someone you love was diagnosed with cancer due to the medication Belviq, please sign up using our form below.
What is a Mass Tort Case?
“Tort” is a legal term for a wrongful injury, where a victim is legally justified in seeking compensation from a defendant who caused the injury, usually through a careless act or omission. But when the defendant’s same act or omission causes harm to a wide number of victims, the case becomes a mass tort, which is the case with Belviq. Mass tort litigation is often the best way to resolve groups of claims involving:
- Medical Device Injuries — When a manufacturer places a defective medical device on the market, a mass tort action can resolve complex questions relating to liability without putting an undue burden on individual plaintiffs.
- Prescription Drug Injuries — Regardless of whether the problem relates to improper testing, misleading labels or some other type of negligence, dangerous drugs are capable of causing widespread harm quickly.
- Household Product Injuries — Even household products that seem harmless can trigger a serious injury or illness. Handling claims ranging from tainted food to talcum powder, our attorneys seek justice for people who have faced unexpected injuries or illness due to product design, manufacturing, handling, and labeling flaws.
- Toxic Exposure Illnesses — Once harmful chemicals are released into the air, soil, or groundwater, individuals can be defenseless after they are exposed to these toxic substances. We have the knowledge and network of experts to bring the strongest case possible on their behalf.
- Injuries Caused by Defective Auto Parts — If you’ve been hurt due to a defective auto part, such as a faulty airbag or ignition mechanism, we pursue justice against all of the parties responsible for the flaw.
- Injured Veterans — If you suffered a hearing injury due to faulty combat earplugs or if you were injured by an IED, EFP, RPG, or IRAM while fighting in Iraq, contact our experienced veterans’ rights lawyers.
- E-Cigarettes —The FDA has warned that vaping devices made by JUUL and other manufacturers can cause nicotine addiction and other serious health impairments. We represent young people who may have been targeted by deceptive marketing and have become addicted or suffered harm.
Generally, large corporations are defendants in mass tort cases. To assert your rights effectively, you need skilled representation from a law firm with the resources to take on a powerful defendant.
Have You Been Diagnosed With Cancer After Taking Belviq?
Sign Up Below For a Free Attorney Consultation!
Marcari, Russotto, Spencer & Balaban handles a full range of mass tort matters, including cases relating to toxic exposure, dangerous drugs, and defective products. Call us today at (855) 435-7247 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. For your convenience, we have offices throughout North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia.
Use the form below to sign up for a free attorney consultation. Once we have received it, we will make sure to reach out to you as soon as we possibly can to schedule your free attorney consultation.