Slip and Fall: 6 Things To Do Right After The Accident!
By MRSB | March 30th, 2022
Unfortunately, slip and fall accidents are quite widespread and common.
Most people fail to think about the dangers of slip and fall accidents and the financial damage that they cause until it affects them and their families.
Quick Facts About Slip and Fall Accidents:
- Over 1M People Go to the Emergency Room Each Year Due to Slip and Fall Accidents: Every year in the United States, there are over one million people that need emergency medical care due to a slip and fall accident – that is 12% of all emergency room visits due to falls.
- On Average, Slip and falls Cost Between $30k and $40k: Information from the CDC (Center For Disease Control and Prevention) shows data suggesting that the average hospital cost of a slip and fall is more than $30,000.
- Other sources show that snow-related slip and fall accidents can cost between $33,000 and $48,000 on average.
- 5% Of all Slip and Fall Accidents Result in Broken Bones: Anytime someone is involved in a slip and fall accident, there is a 5% chance that they will break a bone. Severe injuries from a slip and fall are to be expected at least 25% of the time.
- 33% of Adults Over 65 Fall Every Year: Sadly, 63% of nursing home residents fall yearly – commonly these injuries become more frequent the older someone gets, but they rank second amongst people ages 10-24 for non-fatal injuries, as well.
The moments following a slip and fall accident are incredibly crucial – with that in mind, we have put together a list of six things to do after any slip and fall accident.
6 Things To Do Right After the Accident!
1) Seek Out Medical Attention: The best piece of advice we can give to anyone who just experienced a slip and fall accident is to seek medical attention immediately thereafter. If you were seriously hurt, it is best to either call 911 or ask someone nearby to call 911 for you. If you are not severely injured, it does not mean you can skip out on medical attention. It is still important to see a doctor to rule out any internal injuries which may not be visible yet.
2) Report on the Accident: If you have slipped and fallen on someone else’s property, it is imperative that you find them and tell them, “I’ve just slipped and fell on your property, and I’m injured.” Not only is this important so that they can act and prevent others from getting hurt as well, but it is equally important in preserving your right to bring a claim against them.
If you leave their property without notifying anyone as to the accident and try to proceed in bringing a claim up against them, they will attempt to use that against you.
If you fall on a piece of public property, it is best to take photos of where you fell, return home, and alert the proper authority. In either scenario, make sure to obtain something in writing that clearly states the details of your claim. The last thing you want is to notify someone and leave, or never follow up – you need a trackable report.
3) Take Photos: If your injuries are severe enough to the point that you cannot properly function, take photos right away. Photograph your injuries, the location, and make sure to document what caused you to get hurt. If you plan to hire an attorney later, it can be difficult for them to prove what happened and how it took place if there is no documented evidence of the cause.
4) Communicate with the Insurance Company Carefully: After the accident, if you receive a call from an insurance agent, be cautious of the information you provide. It is best not to agree to provide any written or recorded statements until you have obtained the proper legal representation.
5) Speak to Any Witnesses: Were there any witnesses at the scene? If so, and if they saw you fall and get hurt, it’s important to obtain their contact information. Their statements may become considerably crucial in determining liability for your injury claim, so don’t leave the scene without speaking to them as well.
6) Hire Marcari, Russotto, Spencer & Balaban to Represent You: The last and most important tip we can give you is to hire a skilled premises liability attorney to help. We can’t stress this enough – you need an attorney who can protect your rights and help you fight for the compensation that you are owed.
Slip and fall claims by nature can be overly complicated so it is best not to pursue them on your own.
If you have sustained injuries in a slip and fall in North Carolina, South Carolina, or Virginia – call Marcari, Russotto, Spencer & Balaban‘s slip and fall attorneys right now, to help you.
Our local, knowledgeable attorneys strive to build trust between our firm and our clients, with knowledge of slip and fall liability and slip and fall injuries.
Our attorneys are prepared to help you rectify the issue and regain the quality of life you had before the accident took place.
“People ask why I like being a lawyer. I get the opportunity to help somebody every day. What could be better than that?” – Don Marcari.
Schedule a Free Consultation Today! Sign Up Below!
If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall accident anywhere in North Carolina, South Carolina, or Virginia please use the form below to sign up for a free consultation with our law firm.
We thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and aggressively pursue the maximum compensation possible for your injuries.
Call us today at (855) 435-7247 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation, you can also contact us by filling out the form below.
Once you’ve filled it out, and we’ve received it, we will make sure to reach out to you as soon as we possibly can.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Please fill out the form below.